Sunday, July 20, 2008

Useless Information,what to do?

Some time ago I told my grandson, and maybe this site too, that my only real connection with "soccer" was an exhibition match in the Sydney Cricket ground, in the late 1940s, I thought. Well, yesterday, in the newspaper, I came accross a reminder of that day. The Australian goalkeeper of that time, now aged in his eighties, and living south of Sydney, has hit a burglar hiding in his bathroom with his walking stick.

I need to clarify that I am speaking of the Goalkeeper's walking stick, in the goalkeeper's bathroom. Wrong as it is to hit anyone with a walking stick, even a burglar, it would be doubly wrong to hit a burglar with the burglar's own walking stick, in the burglar's own bathroom. How could burglars ever be expected to reform if they cannot even retire to their own bathroom, or forget to take their walking sticks with them, to prevent it falling into wrong hands? A preamble to repentance is retreatint to a place where one cn THINK. Perhaps even in this case the burglar had gone in there to think about putting the $500 he had taken back. He can not think clearly while being hit on the head. The whole thing is obviously the victim's fault.

It has taken just fifty years for me to find out that the goalkeeper's name was ""Jenkins, and that only because a burglar was hiding in his bathroom when the ex goalie arrived home, and hit him with his walking stick.

But I, and now this site knows, why that burglar may have been dealt with in that cruel way. I reckon that when the goalie arrived home and found a burglar in his house, it was a cruel reminder of that day in the 1940's when about 18 times, the visiting team put the ball in his goal. I reckon it all came back to him, that if he had a walking stick in his hand on that embarrasing day in the 40's, the outcome might have been different. He could have belted the ball out and hit a few Checoslavakians on the head (I can't spell Checkoslovakia) and at least reduced the humiliation somewhat. it is not funny to have the opposition goalie baracking for your own side because he is so bored with nothing to do.

No comments: